Saturday, August 13, 2011

Jazz Pump-Up Music

I've just returned from a soccer referee physical fitness test (came in first place 2nd year in a row out of 100+ people...although the average age was around 40, so I don't know if that really means anything). As I was driving to the test, I was searching for music to get myself "pumped" for the run. I decided upon 3 tunes from Horace Silver's Cape Verdean Blues: the title tune, "Nutville", and "Mo' Joe". Thinking about the music that I chose to get pumped up and realizing that I was going to be driving to the event blasting Horace Silver, I thought about the reaction that would garner from the others. Upon reflection, I recalled that there were several matches where I would get to a field and emerge from a car blasting things like Trane on "Resolution" from A Love Supreme or Mingus's "Haitian Fight Song". To the majority of the population, this whole spectacle was perhaps more peculiar than "bad-ass" (picture the cliched contemporary movie scenes where gangsters emerge from a Cadillac; it's almost always accompanied by rap/rock/metal/etc.). I wasn't necessarily going for an image, but I can admit that in my days as a player and even as a referee, the way you arrive at the sporting event—especially if you can present an element of "intimidation"—is significant. For an example of this, witness the "Maori war chant" that the New Zealand All Blacks rugby team does before the start of every match. The link brings you to an Adidas commercial which features the dance, but there are dozens of clips of them doing it before regular games.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3788249896856764811

Getting back to utilizing jazz as pump-up music: I began to contemplate the relationship of "invigorating" jazz with "masculine" sounding jazz. There's something about Joe Henderson's solo on "Cape Verdean Blues" that—to me—is very masculine (I use the term at the risk of being as controversial as Lacy in his description of Rollins!). It's very bluesy, true; but it also has a quality that taps into something that is more linked to what I see as the unifying theme behind all the "pump-up" tunes on my playlist: it's very primal. I began to realize that all of the songs which I consider to be masculine have elements that we consider (whether accurate or not) to be primitive in nature: the strong pulse; a sense of tension (as is the case in "Resolution"); a raw tone; a low-frequency, strong voice; a sharp articulation; an abundance of open-fifths.

So perhaps the issue of "masculine" and "feminine" sounds is not the right terminology to define it, but I do think some sort of categorization can emerge when we talk about the characteristics of music that suggest different identities. And those differences might necessarily not exist along gender lines but, rather, in terms like "primal" or "polished/polite/etc.".
Thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. jazzlover is Karen Lee Schwarz
    hi Alex--good luck with soccer refereeing-intense sport! quick comments-I've never been successful at using jazz as Jump Up Music-seems I listen to it too carefully and it distracts me-I prefer more beat-oriented-James Brown's Hot Pants makes me wanna lose weight! or the trombone solo on Funky Good Time-Michael Jackson and EWF do it for me as well-
    I coached middle school girls basketball for 4 winning seasons in Elizabeth-first year UNDEFEATED! 14-0! Warm-up music?
    MAGIC MIND by Earth Wind & Fire-every single practice and game!
    ps I am now (better late than never) a huge fan of Steve Lacy If you like I'll send my transcription of Ask Me Now (after Dr Porter corrects it!)
    but in the meantime-what did he say about my beloved Sonny Rollins?
    don't worry-I'll still be a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure you can send the "Ask Me Now" on over to my email address (beebopalex@gmail.com). As for Lacy's comment, see my first response to John below. Lacy complimented Rollins, but the compliment is indirectly one of the "examples" of the male-centrism in jazz. Lacy remarks that Sonny Rollins' "authority and masculinity can be matched only by Monk". Ira Giter sees the comment and remarks on it, then Robin Kelley writes about it, and then HER comment is inspiration for the Sherrie Tucker article's main question. So that's what I meant by Lacy's controversial remark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I figured I'd chime in. In my sports days I mostly listened to hard core music like Rage Against the Machine or Wu Tang Clan or Beastie Boys to get "pumped up" and I think some jazz has a similar edge, particularly, what we now refer to as "hard bop". The mood that was created by the groups of Art Blakey, Lee Morgan, and John Coltrane (just to name a few) is no doubt hard core. I guess the hard core element is the general tendency of these groups to gravitate towards the blues (particularly minor blues) of a no- Bull S*** variety. The music from this era of jazz was heavy and bad-ass.

    ReplyDelete